A circular walk from Hurst
Green around Longridge Fell
distance 7.02 miles : time 3 hr
walk from Hurst Green to Longridge Fell
down the main street of Hurst Green turning left just before the
Stonyhurst Estate and follow the bridle path. The path keeps to
the high ground and descends to Dean Brook. After the stone bridge
bear left and carry on along the bridleway to meet the road just
before Greengore. The path now continues in a straightforward manner
through a series of gates/stiles to Crowshaw House and then on
to the main road.
The route as original described went by way of Green Thorn as shown on the map on the left. However, because of felling work the path as become very rough. It is now better to turn left along the road for 250 yds and take the forestry road (which is now a permissive path) on the right which leads directly to Kemple End. This route is shown on the OS map. Once on high there are panoramic view
over the Ribble Valley towards Blackburn and Pendle in the distance.
the road turn left, walk down hill to Kemple End and follow the roadway through the Kemple complex. After
the farm the path follows an old quarry road to Stockbridge. (Alternatively to shorten the walk turn left and follow the road back to Hurst Green). Otherwise turn
right at the road; the path continues after 300 yds on the left-hand
side along the farm road to Higher Deer House.
the House turn sharp left and walk downhill over the pasture to
the stile found at the edge of the wood. The path descends to a
footbridge over the brook and then to the stile leading onto the
Stonyhurst Golf course. Follow the fence on the right to the FP
sign; turn sharp left and walk across the course to the copse following
the waymarkers to the road next to the club house. On leaving the
golf course turn right along the road and then sharp right at the
white gates. Walk along the Avenue back to Hurst Green.
Opens 12.00-15.00; 19.00-23.00
Bar food is available from 12.00 - 14.00; 19.00-21.30
The Village of Hurst Green is an ideal starting place for this walk around
Longridge Fell which is one of the dominate features in the Forest of Bowland
landscape. The path along Longridge Fell is not a Public Right of Way but a concessionary footpath
In Hurst Green the Bayley Arms and the Shireburn Arms which once formed part
of the Stonyhurst Estate have a long association with Stonyhurst College.
The Stonyhurst motto "Quant je puis" can be seen over the bar in
the Bayley Arms.
Stonyhurst College came into existence when the estate was handed over to
the Jesuits in 1794. (Sir Richard Shireburn and his son (also Richard) having
built the original house about 1590 ). Today together with the prep school
at St Mary's Hall the campus houses over 600 boarding and day pupils. Gerard
Manley Hopkins was a teacher at the College; past scholars include Charles
Laughton and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. JJR Tolkien wrote part of the Lord of the Rings while staying
as a visitor at the College; his son was a teacher there.
The College gardens are open to visitors in the summer time.
Car parking can be found in Hurst Green. The former car park on Longridge
Fell at Kemple End is now closed.
served in both